Thursday, October 11, 2012

My little corner; the affinity space


I am sure we all want to escape from the reality from time to time. We would like to have some space to be on our own to calm down and relax. When I was young, I used to sit in a park and draw but now I would stay in my online affinity space.

Online photo sharing platforms are now my affinity space as photo taking has become my greatest interest in these two years. In these platforms, not only can I get inspirations from others’ work, but also learn useful photo taking and editing skills.  Flickr, which is my earliest affinity space, is the platform that I would like to share with you here.  

****************************************

Just in case you do not have any idea about what Flickr is – Flickr is a very famous photo-sharing platform before Tumblr and Pinterest. People simply upload their photos and share them with the world.
The home page of Flickr

Users of Flickr share the same interest in photography and passion in appreciating it. Users include photographers or photo processors – people who mainly create and upload photos as well as viewers – people who look at the photos without uploading their own. 

Participants in this platform come from all walks of life and all around the world as long as you like looking at beautiful pictures! There are no geographical or generational boundaries – even a 17 years old young photographer can teach! According to Flickr, there are currently 1.5 millions active groups and more than 70 million photographers using this platform.

There are many contributors in one group. Taken from About Love & Portraits / Amor & Retratos (`v´) (P.1/A.2)

Unlike Tumblr or Pinterest, the special thing about Flickr is that the person who upload the photos is also the one who create the photos. In other words, in Tumblr or Pinterest, you can share beautiful pictures which are work of others whereas in Flickr, you can only share your own photos. That is why there is a greater chance for you to find the photographer of a photo that you like. And I think this practice is maintained through the copyright and privacy policy of Flickr.


Photos in Flickr are also highly artistic and creative. It seems to me that people appreciate creativity a lot in Flickr. It may be because people who browse Flickr a lot already possess certain photo shooting skills. Originality and creativity are then the things they look for. You will notice that when you see more people would comment on creative photos than less creative ones.

An example of a creative photo. Photo by Rosiehardy

One interesting thing about these creative photographers is that some of them would also post their ‘source of inspiration’ for the photo. It can be a quote, song lyrics or even an anecdote.  This really makes the pictures look poetic if not romantic, don't you agree?

Finally, in this photo loving and sharing community, my role is still a viewer and learner who gives comments occasionally. I am still working my way to take pictures as professional as those experts in Flickr. I hope one day I can be one of the regular contributors too!



6 comments:

  1. what I like about flickr is the appreciation from other people. Once you have uploaded your pictures, most people would leave some positive comments about your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. That is very encouraging for your photographers to share their photos for improvement.

      I especially like that people would add the photos that they think suitable to (a) particular group(s) and the photographer would eventually become part of the community. That's the way I discover my favourite photographers on Flickr :)

      Delete
  2. sharing photos with a quote is the best inspiration in the internet. pictures ignites others imagination, as you share more you will become professional. Furthermore, taking photos can be your live art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel. Thank you for dropping by!

      Yes, I agree with you that photos with quotes are very inspiring. And many of my friends have a large collection of this kind of photo as food for thought! Like what you said, photos help express ourselves and inspire others. That's why I fall in love with photography.

      But for me, the best inspiring pictures are those without any quotes or words for explanation. The image is powerful enough to speak for itself - let image speak. Do you think so too, Daniel?

      I hope I am able to take this kind of photo too later on :)

      Delete
  3. It's so interesting to look at photos uploaded by all kinds of people in Flickr. Different people interpret a photo in a different way, and how good it is to know what's on the uploaders' mind from the quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. That's one of the main reasons why I like looking at photos in Flickr. I am always amazed by the creative ideas that people have!

      Delete