I remember there is a story
about a boy crying over a broken clock:
‘Why did you
put that clock out of the window, son?’ Daddy said.
‘Because Daddy
you said time flies…’ Son replied.
![]() |
| Photo by erdavid |
Time passed so fast
that I cannot imagine it has been six weeks since the first blog post was
established.
Though we had to write a
post a week, the experience of blogging was still pleasurable as we had great
freedom in choosing the topics to write and in the way we organised our posts.
It was at least more interesting than doing any other essay or report
assignments that we normally have, haha.
So in this officially final post, instead of writing
about another new topic of new media, I would like to sum up what I have
written and reflect upon the experience of blogging them.
Things learnt in this course
Over the seven weeks, I was
introduced to various concepts related to media, including visual layout design
of websites, illusory attention and participatory culture. Though not all of
these concepts were new to me, I always found it interesting and sometimes
inspiring to use them to explain a modern social media phenomenon.
Among those concepts, I
have chosen to write about social networking, meme and affinity space as I felt
that I could relate myself to them the most. Posts were then written
accordingly, namely ‘What if Facebook ends?’, ‘Meme: Creative idea starts as sparkle’ and ‘My little corner; the affinity space’.
To me, I think ‘My littlecorner; the affinity space’ is the best post that I have written in this blog. This
is because I was more analytical in writing and was able to share more my own
thoughts as I know photography pretty well. I remember that it was a true
pleasure for me writing that post.
![]() |
| The best post that I have written |
Experience of blogging
Before studying this
course, I used to think blogging about social media would not be very difficult
to do since I grew up with it. I also thought that as I keep a diary, it should
be easier task for me too.
However, the truth is
blogging is more difficult than I imagined. It was quite difficult for me to
come up with a very interesting or creative topic so as to attract others to
read my blog. That was then I realised that I did not know the media as well as
I thought I did. I had to do research before writing – sometimes it took quite
a long time to brainstorm a good topic and find correct information.
Also, it was also a
challenge for me to strike a balance between the content and word counts. I
understand that people would not like to read long posts so I always tried to
be concise when writing. I usually write a lot when it comes to sharing. :P
Nevertheless, I like this
blogging assignment because it allowed me to explore areas that I would not
know if I had not done research about it. I also got to know more about interesting
concepts like Faksters as well as helpful media tools such as Delicious, which
makes me feel that I do learn something!
![]() |
| Delicious.com - one of the useful online resource tools I got to know in this course |
Experience of commenting
Olivia, Ray, Tiffany and
Wendy are my blogmates and it has been truly enjoyable reading their blogs as
well as others’. Each of them has his/her own style of blogging that I like,
for example, Olivia always has a nice title for each blog post and Ray likes to
randomly use capital and small letters for the headlines.
Their blog posts are
interesting to read too. I gave quite a lot of comments to their blogs.
So here are the links to the comments that I have made:
- Olivia’s blog: 'Let's explore my digital life' , 'Following Cookie Monster on Twitter', 'Ultimate way to search'
- Tiffany’s blog: 'My digital life and more', 'Simple yet taste great', 'On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog'
I also gave comments to
others’ blogs earlier, such as on Gigi's blog: 'My digital life'.
All I can say for the
commenting experience is receiving comments from others is truly a great
driving force for one to continue blogging. So I’d love to receive comments!
**********************************
Writing for new media has been
a fun and inspiring course to study. I’ve learnt various concepts from it and I
enjoyed doing the assignment so far. I look forward to other assignments in
this course and explore more about the world of new media.
And very lastly, thank you for
reading this long summary post to the very end! I hope you enjoy reading my blog :)



No comments:
Post a Comment